Local Service. National Support. Global Expertise.
Philadelphia Gear® brand enclosed drives are the product of over 125 years of innovative design engineering and manufacturing excellence. Our brands, which include WesTech, Western Gear, DeLaval Steam Turbine, Standard Machine, and Hamilton Gear have set the standard for endurance, quality, and customer satisfaction for more than a century.
However, all gear drives reach a point where they need to be replaced or upgraded due to changes in manufacturing needs, process improvements or technological advances. Our mission is to ensure that our customers always have state-of-the-art gear drive technology at their disposal to help prevent unplanned downtime.
Our gearbox configurations are as flexible and comprehensive as your application, and are designed to offer a wide array of size and footprint variations. We can create any possible gear arrangement necessary to satisfy customer requirements: from parallel shaft, to right angle, to double helical, to planetary/epicyclic, to bevel helical, and so on. There is virtually no gear related problem you’ll run into that we haven’t seen – and solved – before.
Now as part of Timken Power Systems, Philadelphia Gear and its family of brands have never been in a better position to serve demanding industrial markets throughout an increasingly competitive world.
100% Lock-up. 0% Fixed-slip Losses.
Philadelphia Gear’s Synchrotorque® line of hydroviscous clutches operates on the principle of shearing an oil film to transmit torque. This hydroviscous effect transmits torque in proportion to a variable clamping force. For unrestrained loads, the higher the clamping force, the faster the output speed. The input drive plates function as the driver. The output friction discs are faced with a suitably grooved resilient material and act as a driven member.
Precisely controlled clamping pressure between input drive plates and output friction discs allows virtually infinite speed control right up to 100% of input speed. This simple phenomenon, based on established hydrodynamic bearing principles, is the basis for controlled torque transmission in the Synchrotorque line of hydroviscous clutches.
- Works for 100 HP to 20,000 HP applications
- Range of sizes for a variety of mounting configurations
- Appropriate for adverse environments
- Output speed equals 100% of input speed
- No fixed-slip losses
- Can transmit torque in either direction
- Can remain running while disconnected from load
- Maximizes torque transfer in compact space
- Protects drivetrain from excessive loads with automatic torque limiting feature
- Clutch can be integrated with gearbox in one housing; unique Gear-Pak® solution simplifies alignment, reduces number of components, improves efficiency in smaller footprint, and has lower initial cost